Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

5 on Friday - Books I Love (that don't have Harry Potter in the Title)

1. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak



- I don't have a favorite book, but if I did, this would be it. It is a story set in WWII with Death as the narrator. It is haunting and beautiful at the same time.


2. Life of Pi - Yann Martel



- When I first decided to read this, I wasn't sure I would like it. I was afraid that it would be boring, but I was wrong. I love this book.

Great quotes from this book:

- “If we, citizens, do not support our artists, then we sacrifice our imagination on the altar of crude reality and we end up believing in nothing and having worthless dreams.”

-  “If you stumble about believability, what are you living for? Love is hard to believe, ask any lover. Life is hard to believe, ask any scientist. God is hard to believe, ask any believer. What is your problem with hard to believe?”

-  “These people fail to realize that it is on the inside that God must be defended, not on the outside. They should direct their anger at themselves. For evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out. The main battlefield for good is not the open ground of the public arena but the small clearing of each heart.”


 3. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee



 - The first time I read this book was in high school. I'm afraid that I didn't appreciate it then.

It wasn't until I read this book as an adult that I realized just how amazing this book is.


4. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie


- The cover of this book is what first caught my eye. I assumed that it would be a fun, light read.

I wasn't prepared for the number of times I would laugh, cry, and then laugh again.

I've read this book several times and I still can't get through Chapter 2 without having to blink away the tears in order to see the page.


5. Unwind - Neal Shusterman


- I thought for a long time about what I should say about this book, and I still don't know.

It's a thought-provoking novel that is set in the future after a Second Civil War, which was fought over reproductive rights.

Abortion is now illegal, but between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, parents can choose to have their children "unwound."

This is a hard book to describe to people who haven't read it, because you don't want to give too much away.

I thought it was a great book, and I've recommended it to friends who have agreed.


That is it for my 5 on Friday. I have linked all of the books to Amazon if you want to find out more about them.

If you have read these books or just want to talk about others that you like, tell me about it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you!