Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Me to the rescue!

I saved a little boy yesterday. (Ok, helped would probably be more accurate, but I felt like a hero.)

I was sitting on my couch minding my business when I heard the dogs next door barking like crazy. I also heard kids yelling and I figured that the kids walking home from school were what the dogs where barking at.

I look out the window just in time to see a young boy (8 or 9 years old maybe?) run up to my door. I thought he was laughing because the dogs had chased him up there. (They are pretty small dogs)

They dogs kept barking and I'm still looking out the window wondering why this kid chose my house to run to.

Then I hear the boy start to cry.

My heart breaks.

This is the kind of cry that tells you a kid is terrified and doesn't know what to do.

Those dogs had chased him onto a strangers doorstep and he had no idea how he was going to get away.

In between sobs I can hear the boy saying "I want to go home."

At this point my heart is in a million pieces on the floor.

I fall over myself trying to get to my front door. I feel so bad for him and I can tell he's terrified. I couldn't get to the door fast enough.

I open the door and step outside next to him. (I make sure my dog stays inside, that's all this kid needs is another dog.)

He tells me he lives down the street and that the dogs won't leave him alone. He thinks they want to bite him.

My plan was to distract the dogs while the boy walked home, or even possibly walk with him because I'm used to the dumb dogs and they don't scare me. 

By this time, my neighbor is outside calling for their dogs to come in the house, so the boy was able to walk the rest of they way home in peace.

I haven't been able to get that little boy out of my head. I know I didn't do much, but I hope I was at least a little bit comforting.

Also, it would be nice if my neighbors would actually watch their dogs.  There have been times when those dogs have ran towards me on my way to my car. They catch me off guard and it always startles me a little. I can't imagine how scary it would be for a little kid walking home alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy hearing from you!